Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Thoughts on life in London

Sorry for the long break again. I’ve just been so busy doing…absolutely nothing, actually. I think looking for a job is the worst thing for one’s self-esteem. Not that I’ve spent all that much time actually looking; I’ve mostly been sitting around in my pajamas, feeling sorry for myself. I’ve been sleeping a lot, too. Maybe my body is trying to make up for all the sleep I missed out on in college.

Anyways, I just don’t have that much to report right now. I’ve found a couple leads that have mostly evaporated. All the job listings seem to be for secretaries or executives, with nothing in between. And I don’t have any friends over here to help guide me. I don’t even know if I have the right kind of resume. Andrew has been great, trying to make me feel better and get some work done, but it’s hard when I spend all day alone in our flat. I’ve run out of things to do around here, because everything is in place except for the table top. Stupid IKEA. I’m going to post some photos tomorrow if I can figure out my camera.

Wow, this is really depressing. It isn’t all bad, of course. We’ve been having great fun on the weekends. The weekend before this past one, we even got to go to a birthday party for one of Andrew’s co-workers. We’ve also gone into the city a few times to poke around and do a bit of shopping. Last week we explored Oxford Street, and this Sunday we did Piccadilly, Regent, and Carnaby Streets. We went to Fortnum & Mason, a giant food store celebrating its 300-year anniversary. It was amazing; all marble and gilt and phenomenal prices. We particularly enjoyed seeing the hundreds of different kinds of chocolates and other sweets and the American imports. They had a box of Aunt Jemima pancake mix for four pounds – that’s eight dollars! They also had funky foods like Cajun-spiced crickets and candied larvae. We didn’t buy anything; the fun of those places is more like visiting a museum – it’s best to look, not buy.

Speaking of looking but not buying, we also went to Liberty, which is another London classic. It’s a humongous department store that looks like the set for some crazy Shakespeare play. It’s all white and black timbers, light-filled atria, and intricately carved mahogany panels, a beautiful building in its own right. Like most other stores of its kind, Liberty is filled with beautiful, inaccessible, expensive objects, but Liberty does a much better job of choosing and displaying them. Everything was lovely. I usually don’t see anything I would actually want at these stores, but at Liberty, I wanted everything, from the fancy silk robes to the hand printed stationery, to the imported French perfume. Liberty is also well known for its fabrics, and they have an entire floor full of dress and upholstery fabrics for sale by the meter, along with millinery and haberdashery supplies. Excellent.

We didn’t actually buy anything in London, but we have been doing a bit of shopping out here in Enfield. We got ourselves a TV, a DVD player, and a box set of Jamie Oliver DVDs that we can finally watch (they wouldn’t play on our American DVD player, but we got our new one “fixed” at Sony so it will play any kind of DVD). I also bought some clothes, but that’s another post. And food. That’s another post, too.

So here’s the story: when I’m with Andrew in the evenings and on the weekends, life is fantastic. I just need to get myself a job and some friends – and a phone! – and I’ll be fine. Our phone line should be installed this Thursday and our special phone package with unlimited calls to the US should be ready to go on Monday. Then I will be able to talk to all the people I love, and I won’t feel so bad. I miss you all terribly, and I can’t wait to hear all my favourite voices soon. Until then, cheers from Enfield!

PS I see that spellcheck added a “u” to favorite. Tee-hee.

No comments: